Food Network Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., host of Big Daddy's house, prepared a low-salt and kidney-friendly version of fritatta.
· 1 cup asparagus, blanched and chopped
· ½ cup onions, diced and lightly sauteed
· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 6 large eggs, beaten
· 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
· ½ cup and 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese at room temperature
· ½ cup Gruyere cheese
· Non-stick cooking spray
· ¼ cup chives, chopped for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Blanch asparagus by adding asparagus to a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds. Strain boiling water off and quickly transfer to ready bowl of ice and water. Let cool then strain off water, dry completely and set aside. Lightly saute onions in olive oil. In large bowl, beat eggs, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, and ½ cup cream cheese until well mixed. Fold in Gruyere cheese, sautéed onions, and prepped asparagus. Prepare muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray covering 9 muffin cups. Ladle equal amounts of mixture into the sprayed muffin tin cups. Place muffin tin on sheet tray and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 F. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before attempting to remove from pan. Garnish with a ½ teaspoon dollop of cream cheese and sprinkle with chives.